Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Under the Siege

After Sleeping Beauty (1959), it appears that the era of the classic Disney Princess began to fade. For thirty years, Disney's full-feature length films either starred young boys, or only consisted of animated animals. It should come as no surprise that the lack of Disney Princess films should correspond with The Second Wave Feminism movement. It makes sense that Walt Disney Productions would lay low during the peak of the bra burning, flower power years. The death of Mr. Disney in 1966 also played a factor, I'm sure. That is why I find the fourth Disney Princess  to be the most shocking. 

Princess Ariel was the rock star of Disney for my generation as well as the catalyst of the Disney Renaissance. Her emergence in 1989 was perfect timing, giving young girls like myself a new princess to idolize. And we did. I had Ariel sheets, an Ariel doll, Ariel jewelry, and the list goes on and on. For my generation, she is easily the most loved princess. So when Disney released The Little Mermaid from their beloved vault back in October, I naturally ran right out and purchased the $30 movie. It must have been over ten years since I viewed the movie and when I sat down to watch it, I was absolutely flabbergasted by the obsessive 16 year old girl I had idolized. This is the post second wave feminism princess?



Let's break down the underlying message that Princess Ariel is conveying. Putting aside her obvious hoarding and OCD, she becomes obsessed with a man that she doesn't even know. She then abandons her family and physically changes her appearance and who she is to be with said man. And that's not even the best part. She gives up her voice! Because we all know that as a woman, the last thing you need to get a man is a voice. Perhaps Disney was trying to implement a different message, but the fact that Princess Ariel is ultimately successful in captivating her man without her voice suggests otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment